Welcome to this blog. My 7 1/2 year old son was diagnosed with Ambloypia or Lazy Eye. I created this blog as a way to document the challenges we face and his progress. I will be thinking positive that he will fall into the percentile that can overcome this disorder.

Friday, May 27, 2011

Just diagnosed with Amblyopia "Lazy Eye"..the facts

My youngest son is 7.5 years old.  Last Friday he had a routine vision test at school.  I received the results on Monday.  R 20/30 L 20/60.  I took him to the doctor on Wednesday the test there showed R 20/25 L at first it was 20/200 then he was able to read the top line so the final results were 20/70.

I received a referral to the Vision Center.  My son was telling me that if we cover up his right eye everything looks black but he was still able to see a little bit.  (I wish I could get in his head and see exactly what he see's.)

Thursday (yesterday) we go to the Vision Center and they do a complete work up on his eyes.
His Right eye is officially 20/20 perfect shaped.  His Left eye has a astigmatism.  The doctor say's it most likely has been that way since birth.  But because of the astigmatism in his Left eye he has developed Ambloypia.  A "lazy eye".   That his brain has suppressed the signals in his left eye and that is why he see's "black" as my son describes it when we cover up his right eye.  His brain is barely listening to the signals sent out by his left eye.

The doctor told me as his vision stands right now if he was old enough to get a driver's license he would be denied due to his vision.   My son's eyes are not cross eye'd and I feel so bad that I didn't know.  The doctor told me that he has an invisible lazy eye and that it would have only been caught with a full eye exam like he had. 

Today we start patch therapy.  I am to cover up his Right eye 4-6 hours a day to force my son's brain to accept the signals from his Left eye.  I also dropped off a prescription for glasses that will work on the astigmatism in his left eye.  It will take 1-2 weeks for the glasses to be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment